• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Patio Peppers Growing in Edison, NJ

talas said:
Are you planning to start earlier,to give yourself a longer season next time ? :)
That's a definite yes! I'm also working on plotting satellite growing locations. I bet i could even leave a pot at my job.

fineexampl said:
May. Much much too late for our area.

Oh ok I plan on starting mine on Feb 1st. I Probably would start Jan 1st but I am afraid they will get too big before I can put them out.

Josh said:
Oh ok I plan on starting mine on Feb 1st. I Probably would start Jan 1st but I am afraid they will get too big before I can put them out.
My thoughts exactly. Plus, we won't have ANY heat until the middle or end of March. A few months of indoor vegetative growth is good for Jersey.

Josh said:

How big is too big before they go out? I was thinking of starting germination in December. I grow in pots and if I get a cold night in March or April - which I'm sure I will, I can move them back inside.

bigt said:
How big is too big before they go out? I was thinking of starting germination in December. I grow in pots and if I get a cold night in March or April - which I'm sure I will, I can move them back inside.

Well...I guess it is all relative. I don't have too much space to work with so if I started them in December by the time I went to plant them outside in May they would be huge. They also would probably be too leggy from insufficient sunlight. Last season was my first time growing and I started germinating the seeds the 3rd week of March. This year I plan on starting the varieties that take longer to germinate, grow and ripen on February 1st. Then some of the other varieties around March 1st. I don't really have a grow schedule down because I am fairy new to this, but I don't want to end up with a ton of huge plants and no where to put them. But getting back to your original question...I don't really have an exact height or width that I would consider too big. I guess I will know after this season.

It seems like the bigger they are when they go outside, the bigger the yield will be. If they stay in 4-5" starter pots, I wouldn't think they could get too big. Good fluorescent or grow lights should solve the "leggy" problem. But you're right, we'll know after this season - I usually start germination in February and always wish I started sooner. December 15 is my goal this year - I'm going to try rockwool for the 1st time.

bigt said:
December 15 is my goal this year - I'm going to try rockwool for the 1st time.

December 15th will be here soon. That is awesome. I can't believe I have to wait until February. Keep us updated and be sure to take pics.

bigt said:
You don't have to wait until February - go for it! Try a couple early. :-)

I just might. I guess I could always just lop the tops off if they get too big for my liking. I have some thinking to do.

So i've confirmed that i will be overwintering my 2 bhut jolokia plants. I don't think they've hit their prime just yet and were all set to be solid producers before the poor weather set in. I've cut them back to a trunk with two branchs with 2 branches on each. I also cut the roots back and repotted them for storage. Good woody stems on both, so provided i keep them alive i should be fine. I'm probably going to keep them in the basement of the future In-laws as it's dark and cool there.

I also stopped at Home Depot and bought a clamp light and a 75watt agro-bulb. My plants indoors get some sun, but IMO not enough. My poor Black Pearl wants to grow, but needs some warmth and light. This will benefit my little indoor garden alot i hope.

While checking thing things out, i noticed a rogue seedling in with the philodendron. I know that i stuck a seed in there, so it could only be one thing. It appears one of the Cherimoya seeds i saved has taken root. I'll have to see about repotting that and growing it near my Miracle Fruit plant. :)

fineexampl said:
So i've confirmed that i will be overwintering my 2 bhut jolokia plants. I don't think they've hit their prime just yet and were all set to be solid producers before the poor weather set in. I've cut them back to a trunk with two branchs with 2 branches on each. I also cut the roots back and repotted them for storage. Good woody stems on both, so provided i keep them alive i should be fine. I'm probably going to keep them in the basement of the future In-laws as it's dark and cool there.

I have some plants I'm trying to overwinter as well that are now in my basement. 3 survived from last year and did well this year - 2 Manzano Reds and 1 Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet. The Scotch Bonnet did nothing all year and then in August suddenly cranked out 50 pods quick. Made another 20 or so after and still has more coming. This year I'm trying to get my 2 Choc Habs, 2 White Bullet and 1 Gold Bullet Habs to survive as well as a Hawaii Sweet Hot, Numex Big Jim and Japones. Saw a few tips on overwintering here - http://www.hotpepperseeds.com/OverWinteringPeppers.asp & http://www.thechileman.org/guide_overwinter.php - I'm still not certain how much to cut them back but I'm not giving them anything more than natural light. Seems like they don't need the light if they lose the leaves. We'll see......

Tony

bigt said:
I have some plants I'm trying to overwinter as well that are now in my basement. 3 survived from last year

3 out of how many? I have 4 in my basement (one of which I split in half when I was removing it). I was just curious what the odds are? In terms of basement overwintering it appears that other people experience a few losses from time to time.
Josh

Here's my "garden" indoors this winter.

The lot of them. philodendron, fittonia, white mini-rose, black pearl chile.
IMG_0513.jpg

Miracle Fruit
IMG_0514.jpg

Cherimoya
IMG_0515.jpg

My ripening, soon to be Bonsai, formerly orange and now apparently red habanero. How gorgeous is that one ripe pod??
IMG_0516.jpg

Josh said:
3 out of how many? I have 4 in my basement (one of which I split in half when I was removing it). I was just curious what the odds are? In terms of basement overwintering it appears that other people experience a few losses from time to time.
Josh

3 survived out of 8. Last winter my 1 Chocolate Hab, 1 White Bullet Hab, 3 Jalapenos all died. I think I left the pods on way too long when I brought them in. I had them in a corner of the basement with almost no natural light and just gave them 10 hours a day of fluorescent. I was hoping for a winter crop but didn't get it. This year I have no illusions of picking fresh peppers in January and would just be happy with getting a few more survivors. My Scotch Bonnet that survived last year ended up being a much smaller, shrubbier size plant this year. Not as tall, but very bushy with much smaller leaves. That baby made a ton of tasty pods though.

Tasty pods are always better than gigantic plants. That hab in my photos had 4-5 pods all summer long and than once the fall hit, all the pods you see in the photo popped out.

fineexampl said:
That's a definite yes! I'm also working on plotting satellite growing locations. I bet i could even leave a pot at my job.
Good news my friend..Growing in three locations myself in 09 :lol:

bigt said:
3 survived out of 8. Last winter my 1 Chocolate Hab, 1 White Bullet Hab, 3 Jalapenos all died. I think I left the pods on way too long when I brought them in. I had them in a corner of the basement with almost no natural light and just gave them 10 hours a day of fluorescent. I was hoping for a winter crop but didn't get it. This year I have no illusions of picking fresh peppers in January and would just be happy with getting a few more survivors. My Scotch Bonnet that survived last year ended up being a much smaller, shrubbier size plant this year. Not as tall, but very bushy with much smaller leaves. That baby made a ton of tasty pods though.

Thanks for the info. I am not trying to grow them at all just keep them alive. Here is the thread I posted...
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=7909&highlight=drastic+cutback

I cut them all the way down. If I get them to survive I will be happy. Then next season I can bring several varieties in because it is a great space saver.

Josh said:
Thanks for the info. I am not trying to grow them at all just keep them alive. Here is the thread I posted...
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=7909&highlight=drastic+cutback

I cut them all the way down. If I get them to survive I will be happy. Then next season I can bring several varieties in because it is a great space saver.

Good thread - I posted a few pics I took this morning of my overwinter collection. Only 3 more weeks till 2009 seed starting! :)

Back