• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Patio Peppers Growing in Edison, NJ

and...

Some baby beefsteaks. Should have a TON of tomatoes.
0627091027.jpg

ladybug larvae gettin down on some borage
0627091135.jpg

My chick doing some gardening
0627091232a.jpg

And the first pickling cucumber. I really can't thank you enough THP member who's name escapes me at the moment! They're awesome! We're making falafel with them this week.
0627091252.jpg

Great pictures... and descriptions! Garden looks fantastic. You'll have some fine eating this summer.

I would think the first step to identifying that unknown pepper would be to eat one and check the taste and heat.:rolleyes:

Good luck. I'll wait here.:P

patrick said:
I would think the first step to identifying that unknown pepper would be to eat one and check the taste and heat.:rolleyes:

Good luck. I'll wait here.:P

I'll be standing by Patrick! It doesn't look hot... I don't think?:shocked:

fineexampl said:
This one i had labeled bhut jolokia. If it is, it's and cross.
0627091231a.jpg

I don't know FE, this looks a lot like the Bhut Jolokias I have going. The leaf shape on these guys is definitely the same as mine. They have chinense plant structure, but the leaves sure do look odd. Maybe this is a nod to the bit of fructescens genes in the genome....

If the label is correct than it's just that handful of fruits i had that were seed producers. i am pretty much set in the notion that my bhuts last year crossed, but i knew that going into this. They were grown with black pearl, habanero, and whatever else i had going on. Either way, i'm excited to see what i produces. The leaves are so full and thick unlike last year's bhuts, so who even knows. I had a flowering choc.hab that never was able to set fruit, so there's even that possibility. People in my complex also had plants growing so perhaps i have something completely mysterious. Who cares though? this is some fun shit. :)

Ahhh, I do see what you mean about the foliage being more dense. My plants have a bit more sparse leafage.

I've got a few plants that are turning out to be crosses this year too. I have chocolate habs that were grown next to fatalis that definitely aren't producing chocolate-Hab-like pods.

DSCN0787.jpg

I'm hoping for elongated pods that stay chocolate, but only time will tell. Hell, I'm almost more excited about these than if they were just regular old chocolate habs!

Will be interesting to hear how that fatalii choc hab cross will look AND TASTE :) Very nice garden you have..

Thanks yo!

I agree about having more fun growing crosses than straight varieties. It's more of a crap shoot and whatnot. Those long wrinkly guys are growing like MAD. One week i had a single pod, the following week it was loaded. I like that!

Garden is a big credit to you f,Love the peppers and everything else..Nice to see the green fingers go into dirt to..Great podage indeed :)

Oh and btw..i should mention my fertilization routine.

I started everything on Fox Farm Grow Big and Neptune's seaweed. At home in the containers i'm using Neptune's Harvest fish & seaweed blend liquid fertilizer. I occasionally use old water from my aquarium and started the seeds using a lot of that. At the South River garden in the ground i'm using the super cheap (forget the brand) bulk liquid fish and Neptune's seaweed. Both are supplemented with epsom salts as needed and regular municipal tap water. Pest control is either neem oil or pyrethrin, with a preference for pyrethrin. The only other thing i'm adding is the manual labor that comes with it all.

Talas, are you saying i have green fingers? ;)

FE, how often are you giving them the seaweed and fish? I've been trying to figure out a good routine with my plants in the ground using the same combo. Most all of them are looking great, but I've got a couple of chinenses that look like they need a green up, and I've tried fish, seaweed, and epsom to no avail.

Giving them a bit of Espoma's Plant Tone granular under the soaker hose tonight, so we'll see if that helps.

Cheers!

the ones in the ground, i think i've fed them 3 times so far? a strong solution at the base and than plain water to wash it all in. I only fed them if they needed it. The containers i feed them weak solutions with every other watering.

Thanks man. That's about where I am with my Fish emulsion dosing as well. If they don't green up in the next week or so, I'll try some of the bulk stuff that's a bit higher in Nitrogen. They're all flowering now and putting on pods despite their slightly washed color, so I'd hate to start getting flower drop from excess N though.

Back