• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

PhatMan Dereks Grow Log V2.0

Do you already have them in front of the window? If you do than i believe you are going to need some sort of lighting fixture to help with the lack of proper lighting requirements. if that is all the seedlings you are doing this year i think you could get away with one 4' shop light and a couple of cheap tubes.that would be all you need but I would not wait too long to get them some more light.

Dale

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
If your are going to have any success growing peppers indoors you need some grow lights, either CFL or regular shop light floro. Your bay window is not giving your plants all that they need, and it is probably pretty cold at night. If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
Well I have no more money to buy a clf light at least until next month or so!

thepodpiper said:
Do you already have them in front of the window? If you do than i believe you are going to need some sort of lighting fixture to help with the lack of proper lighting requirements. if that is all the seedlings you are doing this year i think you could get away with one 4' shop light and a couple of cheap tubes.that would be all you need but I would not wait too long to get them some more light.

Dale
I have an idea, Make a cardboard cut out that has a flexible roof and line the inside of this cut out with aluminum foil and direct the plant's towards the light!

You need to buy a grow light dude... you're def not getting enough light from your window. You can get them really cheap... look on craigs list or just go to a hardware store and pick up some cheap fluoros

ExtremeBurn said:
You need to buy a grow light dude... you're def not getting enough light from your window. You can get them really cheap... look on craigs list or just go to a hardware store and pick up some cheap fluoros
How much more will they cost me in electricity each month?

PhatManDerek said:
Well I have no more money to buy a clf light at least until next month or so!

I have an idea, Make a cardboard cut out that has a flexible roof and line the inside of this cut out with aluminum foil and direct the plant's towards the light!

Derek, if money is an issue maybe you could borrow a 4'shop light from someone and just buy 2 tubes for it. You do not need CFL's they are too expensive and you need too many to cover a large area. If you can borrow the shop light you can get the tubes for about 2 bucks apiece. If you have to buy the fixture and the tubes you can get the whole shabang for around 16 or 17 bucks from Home Depot or Lowes. Hell come on down to Lincoln Park and I'll loan you one for a couple weeks.LOL.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
Derek, if money is an issue maybe you could borrow a 4'shop light from someone and just buy 2 tubes for it. You do not need CFL's they are too expensive and you need too many to cover a large area. If you can borrow the shop light you can get the tubes for about 2 bucks apiece. If you have to buy the fixture and the tubes you can get the whole shabang for around 16 or 17 bucks from Home Depot or Lowes. Hell come on down to Lincoln Park and I'll loan you one for a couple weeks.LOL.

Dale
Thanks Dale, Can I just put them in the window sill?

Turn your computer off when you are not using it if you want to save money on electric. The cost of running a shop light in practically nothing, and if you want healthy plants 20 bucks for a shop light is the price you pay. When you plant them up to bigger cups a window sill might work for a little while is all.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Turn your computer off when you are not using it if you want to save money on electric. The cost of running a shop light in practically nothing, and if you want healthy plants 20 bucks for a shop light is the price you pay. When you plant them up to bigger cups a window sill might work for a little while is all.
I do turn my pc off when I don't need it. I pay about $30 a month for electricity, By the way mate, I have a kitchen light that has a florescent light in it and but that probably would be a bad place to keep the little guys.

By the way guys is it ok to put them in direct sun light on the bay window for now until I can afford a shop light?

i have to agree...

get those suckers under some stronger light..

very leggy...

i think they will die if you dont repot them and bury a little of the leggyness away...

PhatManDerek said:
Thanks Dale, Can I just put them in the window sill?

The plants pictured above are already leggy. Have they been in a window sill? If they have they're not getting enough light.

You can try shaking the flats a couple of times a day to get stockier plants, but what they really need is more light.

Pam said:
The plants pictured above are already leggy. Have they been in a window sill? If they have they're not getting enough light.

You can try shaking the flats a couple of times a day to get stockier plants, but what they really need is more light.

Hey Pam,

what do you mean when you say 'shaking the flats' ?

Hotpeppa said:
i have to agree...

get those suckers under some stronger light..

very leggy...

i think they will die if you dont repot them and bury a little of the leggyness away...

Pam said:

Hotpeppa said:
Hey Pam,

what do you mean when you say 'shaking the flats' ?
Thanks guys, And Pam what does the shaking do?

Derek,

Have you had these in the window since they sprouted or just for a day or so? If it is a south facing window without trees shading it and it has not been completely overcast since they were put there, they do not show it - they are not significantly bent toward one way. Also, a good window will let in more than enough light - I was getting 60,000 lumens on a partly cloudy day. That's dozens of times more than shop lights will provide.

BTW, at 10¢ per Kw/hr., it will cost you about $4 per month in electricity.

Mike

Back