• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

I am calling this RECIPE RESCUE, as the original recipe is very bland.

P1010537.JPG

Basically I made the recipe but excluded the BP (of course!) and added a mix of my dried peppers (powdered), achiote seeds, cumin, mace, allspice, lime juice, and mexican oregano. Probably doubled the quantity of garlic the recipe called for, too.

I put this on top of rice, but not just any rice: Texmati basmati rice (if you haven't tried it yet, DO IT!), made with 50/50 chicken stock and water, butter, garlic, lime juice, pepper powder, mex oregano, and cilantro. This rice is fantastico on it's own, but even better paired with other stuff.

The RECIPE RESCUE and the rice together? Mui bueno!

Edit: Also, as my slow cooker is rather small, I used 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of the whole bone-in legs the recipe called for. I'd suggest doing similar, as it yielded plenty of liquid with the thighs.

Yeah, definitely not a looker, but more like a comfort food thing. Totally satisfying. Kind of reminiscent of good chicken enchiladas suiza from back home, flavor-wise.

I love everything about this except the little tiny Fritos.

Chips, Scoops, Spoon, Spatula, Beer Bong, IV needle, Shovel.

All better than those tiny little Fritos. :rofl:

Last night made a fresh cole slaw with my pickled jalapenos and my pickled serranos cut up and spread over the top. Had to cut up more while only half-way through. The main course was a roasted muscovy duck rubbed down with a sweet(ish) sauce similar to Sriracha, only hotter and sweeter. That was some good stuff!

this was my brunch. 2 egg cheese omelet. sirrachi in the middle and some paul newman peach salsa. yummy :dance: there is a beer next to the plate just couldnt get a good shot with it :mope:

Took this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/slow-cooker-chipotle-lime-chicken-thighs-jamaican-rice-and-peas-recipe/index.html
And got happy in my spice cabinet.

P1010608.JPG

For the chicken, upped the amount of chiles in adobo (and sauce) that the recipe called for, upped the garlic, substituted red pepper powder for the black, and added allspice, oregano, cinnamon (just a tad), mace, coriander, and cumin. (This pic was pre-adding the toppings.)

For the rice, I don't use instant rice, so upped the liquid in part by adding lime juice, then also red curry paste, red pepper powder, allspice, cumin, and garlic. I waited and added the beans five minutes before the cooking time was over, and of course, adjusted the cooking time.

Pretty good schtuff!

Had this this morning, jerk marinated pork chop, broiled, sliced and finished with homemade jerk sauce

8735868016_f3723ca71b_b.jpg

Made with yellow brains

Well, I didn't cook, but thought this was tasty enough to merit mention. My son is making ginger beer, and set aside some of the mix at the step before he adds yeast to it. Marinated chicken thighs in it, then liberally coated them with a Thai spice mix. Yum.

Chingon G!

Big filets for true.

Tails are the best!

I see corn meal.

Any corn flour or AP flour in the mix?

I see a speck of red in the bottom filet, what's that?

Back