• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

QuadShotz said:
Damn nice wings AJ!

Have ya ever tried the Ming Tsai version?

According to his brother who works at IBM, HE ONCE DOWNED 115 CHICKEN WINGS IN A SINGLE SITTING?!

Thanks QS, haven't tried them...they sound good...I like mine breaded sometimes and that is why I posted this recipe...the breading is heaven..

MWM...the title of the thread says cooked, but cooked bacon didn't you?

Let me know how that turns out. I bought some wasabi peanuts with that same intention. I haven't decided yet whether to use them for crusting tuna or scallops.

Made some yummy cornbread w/ habs, sambal and onions.

It was a store-bought "jalapeno cornbread" mix, but well, lil tiny bits of dehydrated jalapeno ain't gonan cut it. ;)

So, added minced habs, minced onions, some sambal olek, extra flour and baking powder to make up for the extra ingredients, and also added onion/garlic/cayenne and chili powder.

Cooked up in a 9" skillet on the stovetop on low for about 20 mins.

I flipped it once when the bottom was done using a pizza cardboard.
Both top and bottom got a rub with a stick of butter for a nice rich brown....easy as pie. :D

I like to slice it through the middle and use lightly toasted for sandwiches...MMmmmm.

Of course, gotta have pics:

hab_cornbread_1.jpg

hab_cornbread_2.jpg

It came out a really nice consistency, yet still light and airy.

-QS

looks great Quad...next time, try some fataliis if you can get your hands on some...

Nice pics Quad! How did you manage to flip that thing without it breaking? That is about the airiest cornbread I have ever seen! Was that a sweet or nonsweet cb recipe?

Cheers, TB.

AlabamaJack said:
looks great Quad...next time, try some fataliis if you can get your hands on some...

Mmmmmm....that sounds good. I made cornbread with chocolate habs once, and it turned out great, but the funniest part was everybody thought i made soem sort of chocolate chip muffins. I had to fight to keep the kids away from them.

AlabamaJack said:
don't believe the times she has for preparing these...I really started at 5 pm working on the wings then started mixing and battering at 6...started cooking about 7:30 and didn't finish with the wings until 8:30

You could make them faster if you had a staff of people prepping everything for you too.

AlabamaJack said:

No doubt..would love to. :)

texas blues said:
Nice pics Quad! How did you manage to flip that thing without it breaking? That is about the airiest cornbread I have ever seen! Was that a sweet or nonsweet cb recipe?

Cheers, TB.

Was semi-sweet on account of the sambal and onions.

Since cooked in a non-stick 9.5" skillet, when it wsa about done, I just ran spatula around it, then put the pizza cardbord over the top and flipped it upsidedown and out like a cake. Then, just put it back for browning the other side. Was easy-peazy. :)

Was airy cuz of the extra 1/4 tsp of baking powder and some extra Red Star flour i put in to offset the extra moisture of habs/sambal/etc. Came out nice and moist, but still solid enough to cut well.

Worked pretty well for a $1 pouch of cornbread mix. :D

Actually they're like these tiny sandwiches made of potatoes filled with minced meat and cooked in a thick nice sauce. looks awful, tastes amazing. mine are special cause instead of using Moroccan Paprika, I used Bhut Jolokia.

Yet another breakfast "burrito" today.

S6302198.JPG

S6302200.JPG

Started off with cooking up some Jimmy Dean Hot Pork Sausage, then added onions, orange habs, a clove of mashed garlic, and S&P.

Cooked that until onions were done, then added eggs. scrambled 'em for about a minute then put lid on the pan and turned down to low.

While that was finishing..took large tort, spread leftover refried beans & rice, adding chile powder,arbol chile powder, sambal olek, and added some cheese as well.

Nuked til warm, then added the sausage and eggs, and topped with some Stokes Green Chilie Sauce w/ Chicken and more cheese.

Rolled it all up and topped with THSC's Afterbuner.

It's bigger than it looks..that's a 15" plate.

May not be pretty, but's a friggin' great way to start a day! :hell:

-QS

Thx man, it's a nice variety of stuffz. :)

I grew up on Jimmy Dean sausage, and it's still dang good stuff.

It also did need some potatos, but I was out.

Pretty much a full spectrum meal..beans, rice, meat, cheese, eggs, even veggies if ya count onion/chiles.

quad - that breakfast burrito looks very tasty!
have you ever made several breakfast burritos at once for later days & ya just nuke'em. when I make breakfast burritos I make several & freeze the others.

Back