• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

And how did it turn out?

I was in the mood for wings, but wasn't going to do anything fancy, just wanted something quick using what was in the house. Baked the wings in the oven with a dry rub of cayenne, Death Rain, pepper, and bih jolokia powder (from Muso2112). Took them out and coated with Cap'n's savina sauce. Pretty good for a quick meal.

Brunch skillet-thingy here.

Needed some wakey-wakey power after last night, so fried up some hot breakfast sausage, then added this:

S6302569.jpg

The Green stuff is cilantro, potatos were pre-nuked for about 4mins. so wouldn't take so long then peeled and diced. The 8" chef knife is for scale...and cutting stuff too. ;-)

Also added some curry powder, S&P, red pepper, chile powder, and a dash of thyme and mexican oregano. Came out tasty, and those jalas were hot..only 'bout 10 very large seeds in 'em. Weird things from Mexico, and extra hot so seeds saved.

Also had to double-wash my hands after cutting up the habs as got sticky cap stuff all over..very potent lil buggers. :)

S6302576.jpg

Served up w/ grated Monterey Jack, Buttered Toast and freshly ground Double-Dark Sumatra Dark Roast. (cam batteries croaked b4 that tho, oops)

Good stuff..would nice for Pita Bread, but don't have ATM. Leftovers will be assimilated into a burrito of some sort.

**Edit**

I was still hungry, and the batteries were charged now, so spread some hab jack on a tort, added the skillet mixture, topped off with a bit more Jack and El Pato Salsa Picante Jalapeno.

S6302580.JPG

Awesome.

-QS

Looking good as usual Quad. I hadn't planned on getting drunk last night but found Mrs. Blues apple vodka. Somehow 5 or 14 shots of the stuff fell into my mouth by accident. Did I tell you
"I love you man..!!" in a drunken stupor? If so, sorry 'bout that.

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Looking good as usual Quad. I hadn't planned on getting drunk last night but found Mrs. Blues apple vodka. Somehow 5 or 14 shots of the stuff fell into my mouth by accident. Did I tell you
"I love you man..!!" in a drunken stupor? If so, sorry 'bout that.

Cheers, TB.

Thanks TB, I know the feeling....

But, on the bright side of things, all that beer I drank left room in the fridge for today's leftovers. :)

Well, the last spicy food I made was Gosht Vindaloo - Tart Hot Beef with Malt Vinegar and Cayenne. Although it doesn't look appetizing (looks like someone pooped on my rice!), it is very good. Recipe includes a cheap ass chuck steak cubed, 2 tsp. Cayenne and 6 dried red cayenne chilies.

GoshtVindaloo.jpg

QuadShotz said:
Looks good to me!

I even found that Naan u use at the store, but it was pretty dried out. :(

It's best if you wrap it in a damp/wet paper towel and nuke it for 20 seconds or so to warm it up. I nuke it long enough to melt the butter I put on it. There are a number of different brands out there and some are better than others.

tonight's dinner is quinoa, string beans, and chicken legs buffalo style.

the sauce is nothing but Soy Garden spread (butter if you like, but i'm feeding a lactard) and this rocoto pepper paste i found at Corrado's Family Affair right here in Jersey. it has an awesome hot pepper flavor, but no pain. real nice flavorful burn.

For lunch today I decided to try something out. I took a Burrito wrap and layered salami and cheese in it (2 layers) and spread a layer of CaJohn's Jolokia Sauce. I folded it half and cooked until the cheese was all melted.

BAM!!! Best darn quick lunch I've had in a while. Not to mention the burn lasted a good 20 minutes.

This was last night. I like to shoot from the hip a lot. This is just chicken livers, olive oil, sea salt, pepper and 3 crushed dried chile pequin's. The chile barely even came through, next time much more. This went in the BBQ with the chicken last night.

3463510477_e916b21b6e.jpg

Tiny suggestion?...

QuadShotz said:
**Edit**

I was still hungry, and the batteries were charged now, so spread some hab jack on a tort, added the skillet mixture, topped off with a bit more Jack and El Pato Salsa Picante Jalapeno.

Awesome.

-QS

Since we're a kind of flavor first kind of people, from experience I have a suggestion.

Where I'm from, for burrito's or any place you'd use a tortilla, there are two options for heating the tortilla. I couldn't help noticing that your tortilla had the look of "nuked".

Option one, griddle or other hot surface like a hot pan even. This will add a great toasty flavor and take away that kind of processed flour-y flavor you get from a steamed or nuked tortilla. Heat on medium till it's completely pliable and you begin to get little toasted areas that appear almost golden.

Option two, this is my favorite method if you have a gas stove. Heat that tortilla up straight over the flames of your gas stove. Set to medium medium high, and even up to high when you have skillz.

In our house it was all about the corn tortilla. My pops always asked for his burnt. Even flour tortillas. I eventually became assimilated to the burnt order as well, it's freakin tasty. A hot dog, mustard and a burnt corn tortilla. Another awesome creation, and you know some chile works great in that mix as well.

Anyhow, Food for thought :P :)

Diablo said:
Since we're a kind of flavor first kind of people, from experience I have a suggestion.

Where I'm from, for burrito's or any place you'd use a tortilla, there are two options for heating the tortilla. I couldn't help noticing that your tortilla had the look of "nuked".

Option one, griddle or other hot surface like a hot pan even. This will add a great toasty flavor and take away that kind of processed flour-y flavor you get from a steamed or nuked tortilla. Heat on medium till it's completely pliable and you begin to get little toasted areas that appear almost golden.

Option two, this is my favorite method if you have a gas stove. Heat that tortilla up straight over the flames of your gas stove. Set to medium medium high, and even up to high when you have skillz.

Anyhow, Food for thought :P :)

Yeah, I do know those methods.

However, in a dated brick/lath & plaster apt. building that gets sun all day and has no AC or even a thermostat...I try to not turn on the 'ol 1950's monster of a gas stove unless I have to. The real oven? It's one huge burner like a BBQ..and you light it with a match.

That's why you see so much toaster oven fare. :)

Seriously, just boiling water will raise the temp in the apt. noticably. It's crazy.

I could just warm it over the gas like ya said, but the micro takes seconds and produces no heat.

just cooked up some traditional stryle buffalo wings,
cream base cummin garlic tomato paste seasoning and a couple pequin chillis.
I really enjoyed them not crazy hot but nice and taSTY

stillmanz said:
just cooked up some traditional stryle buffalo wings,
cream base cummin garlic tomato paste seasoning and a couple pequin chillis.
I really enjoyed them not crazy hot but nice and taSTY

Pequins are great stuff Stilly. Nice little burn but heaps of flavor. Wings sauce sounds good.

Cheers, TB.

I received a package from THSC(great sauces by the way) and inside was his enormous 27 gram scotch bonnet (thanks Neil), so I figured I'd better put it to good use:

002.jpg

2 chicken thigh fillets diced
2 chopped tomatoes
Handful of sliced mushrooms
Half brown onion
3 cloves garlic crushed
Small glass Merlot
Salt, Pepper, Paprika
And of course the bonnet

She ain't pretty but was plenty tasty:

003.jpg

Looks like its going to be a hot one tonight, the wife is cooking up a Thai stir fry tonight....but she put in 7 Naga Dorsets (thanks to Nova for them), just thought they were ordinary chillis hahahaha

Back