• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

2010 Grow Thread Begins

buds on the plants.....I'd better go check my scorpions. I think I have some of those. you dont let them flower at all at this stage, right? pinch off buds until.....when?

Appreciate all the nice words everyone, thanks.

Celeste, pinching buds while the plant is small seems to send a signal to the plant to stop producing them and get back to putting on some size. Once it has done that the buds will start popping again and that's when you let them go.

Patrick, the babies are doing awesome! You and I have about the same last frost date although you are in a milder zone down there, have you noticed that even the spring flowers are way ahead of last year when it was so cold and wet? All signs I see point to a great growing year so you should have peppers like crazy. I can't wait to get mine planted outside.

peppermanbaha said:
great stuff pat ! Soil looks a tad but dry though. maybe just the light. Is your soil mostly peat ?

Thanks bahaman. I'm using Pro-mix which I believe is 80% peat? I've added a bit more perlite and some worm castings to it. The top does look a bit dry but believe me the plants are fine. In fact I just watered them today.

Here's a pic of a few of the 7 Pods I've got going. Primo, Brain Strain, Brown, Jonah and the big one is 7 Pod yellow with seeds from the hippy.

IMG_4499re-1.jpg

The big 7 Pod yellow.

IMG_4498cre.jpg

Finally. I moved my first wave of plants out to the garage yesterday. They got their first ever taste of pure unfiltered sun too. I let them bask in it for about 45 minutes or so then shut the garage door. When the sun gets into the right spot I'll open the door again. This way I'm not lugging plants back and forth, in and out. This should work for me as the garage door faces to the west.

IMG_4531crac.jpg

Side view:

IMG_4535crre.jpg

There are 48 plants in this group, most of them superhots. I've given about a dozen of them away so far. The next group is still in the red plastic cups and I'm not sure if I'm going to pot them into one gallon pots then three gallon or just go straight to the three gallon.

One thing I did learn this year is I need to be more consistent with the fan. A lot of the stems are a bit rubbery and without support have a hard time holding the top one third of the plant up. Few days outside in the Nebraska wind and they'll be fine. I hope.

I have several 10 gallon and larger pots this year that I'm anxious to use. The last freeze date here is May 15th. By then I hope to have them well hardened up.

Good job Patrick. The plants look awesome bro. Cant wait to see them flurish with with tons of peppers that you will surely eat everylast one:lol:

I finally counted everything and I'm going to end up with around 88 pepper plants total, providing the ones I've got growing now continue to do so. Here's the final list. There are still close to forty of them in the 20 ounce cups but they look healthy so I'm counting them. Most of them are annuums so I'm not worried about them getting enough time to produce. I did a few other Chinense though as back ups and those will be close.

PEPPERS IN 20OZ RED CUPS
7 Pod, Brain Strain………..3
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate…….6
Bhut Jolokia, Lemon……..2
Chile de Arbol……………4
Chimayo……………………3
Costeno Amarillo……………2
Douglah………………….1
Gaujillo……………………..3
Habanero, Chocolate…….1
Pulla (Paya)……………….4
Scotch Bonnet, Jamaican Yellow……3
Scotch Bonnet, Red…….2
Trinidad Congo……………2
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga……1

ONE GALLON POTS
7 Pod Primo………………..3
7 Pod Yellow, ……………..2
7 Pod, AJ……………………..3
7 Pod, Barrackore…………2
7 Pod, Brain Strain………….3
7 Pod, Brown………….2
7 Pod, Hippy……………….2
7 Pod, Jonah…………1
7 Pod……………………..1
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate……..3
Bhut Jolokia, CPI……………..3
Dorset Naga………………2
Douglah,………………..4
Fatalii Hybrid……………..1
Naga Morich……………4
Peter Pepper, Yellow……1
Red Savina……………..3
Trinidad Congo…………3
Trinidad Scorp CARDI,…….3
Trinidad Scorp, AJ…….2
Trinidad Scorp, Hippy…..2
Unknown……………3

I have to stop giving plants away. I started with 12 Bhut Jolokia plants and I'm down to three. I hope the chocolate and lemon bhuts come in for me. One week from tomorrow and we're outside!!!:)

fantastic looking plants!! nice job Patrick!
I bet you don't have to worry about insects with all those spiders guarding them :D

Great plants Patrick. Glad to see you made it to mid-May with perfect plants. That potting up was definitely worth it. Soon enough they can be set free!

Love the garage set up too. Eliminates all that pain in the arse lifting back and forth, back and forth, for hardening off.

Until the weather gets nicer, here's what I'm stuck with as my overnight holding tank. And these are only 15 of the 65 plants I have. Summer can happen any time now!
DSCF2655.jpg

Thanks guys. I've thought about turning a sac full of baby tarantulas loose on an aphid infested plant but the thought of trying to catch the little buggers doesn't appeal to me.

Zander I have a couple of the big florescent lights in the garage.

Ballz your babies are looking great. Seems like it took forever to get here but summer is just around the corner.

Great looking plants, Patrick.My frost date is 5/15 also,but I planted my hots on 5/5. i just ran out of room.will cover if needed.

Finally the rain has stopped and the sun is peeking out. Isn't supposed to last long and then the rains start up again.

I've had the plants in the garage so I could harden them off without having to drag them in and out. Minimum light available to them out there so they're beginning to show some signs of yellowing starting at the top of the plant. Hoping the sun can get this worked out. Here's what I'm talking about:

IMG_4621re.jpg

Ugly isn't it?

I was able to pot up about a dozen plants yesterday. This is what I'm using for my planting mx.

The small pool is my composting pile. It has last years leaves, grass clippings and the "dirt" of several of last years grow pots. Just sitting there and bubbling. Not quite ready yet.

The large pool is my mixing machine. The current mix contains 15 gallons of leftover "dirt" from last year. It is made up of peat, composted manure, top soil, perlite, and lime. 18 gallons of peat, four gallons of perlite, and eight cups of lime. The pots of old dirt added were wet hence the darker color.

IMG_4619re.jpg

13 plants down 75 to go.

I was hoping to have all the plants outside by now but I keep getting interrupted by life.I've got a third of them done for a total of 33 so far. The weather isn't cooperating today either as the rain falls. Anyway here are a few that I have managed to pot up and get outside.

IMG_4648re.jpg

IMG_4645re.jpg

A few more in front of the front door porch.

IMG_4642rre.jpg

This is a Douglah from isolated seeds Josh sent me, thank you Josh. It gets one of the larger pots.

IMG_4640rre.jpg

With the exception of two Trinidad Congo peppers all of these are super hots; 7's, Trinidad Scorpions, Bhut Jolokia, Douglah and Naga Morich. Most of them will go into 3.5 gallon pots with a few of the better looking plants going into 5, 7, or even 10 gallon pots.

About 50 more to go.

Back