• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Damn, I think I've been Bit By A Brown Recluse

Intensity Academy said:
Have you been able to incorporate beer back into your life?

That's a big YES! Yesturday was my first day back to alcoholism. That was the soberist I've been in 4 years. It was horrible and I don't suggest it for anyone :P

UPDATE: No puss came out this morning. It just drained clear liquid that was kinda sticky. It's only draining twice a day now (morning and night).

Heal up quick dude. Also, I agree that I think it's a recluse as well. In one of your pics you can see the fang marks in the wound. I actually got bit, by what I thought was a wolf spider in my sleep last week. I woke up and my chest was ithcing. I looked really close and in each swollen spot was a pair of fang marks in each welt. Sucker was getting blood in my sleep:shocked:;). I think it was a wolf spider, because the fang marks were kind of far apart and I found one in the house the next day. They are big nasty buggers, but don't have the side effect like your having. Heal up quick IGG!;):P

rabbit said:
Heal up quick dude. Also, I agree that I think it's a recluse as well. In one of your pics you can see the fang marks in the wound. I actually got bit, by what I thought was a wolf spider in my sleep last week. I woke up and my chest was ithcing. I looked really close and in each swollen spot was a pair of fang marks in each welt. Sucker was getting blood in my sleep:shocked::lol:. I think it was a wolf spider, because the fang marks were kind of far apart and I found one in the house the next day. They are big nasty buggers, but don't have the side effect like your having. Heal up quick IGG!
Ouch. Wolf spider's are nasty little s.o.b.'s.

xgrafcorex said:
what was the first beer you went back to? :P
It was a freshly brewed, unpasturized, Gordon Bierch beer rated at 7% abv. I drank that stuff all day yesturday.

rabbit said:
Heal up quick dude. Also, I agree that I think it's a recluse as well. In one of your pics you can see the fang marks in the wound. I actually got bit, by what I thought was a wolf spider in my sleep last week. I woke up and my chest was ithcing. I looked really close and in each swollen spot was a pair of fang marks in each welt. Sucker was getting blood in my sleep:shocked::P. I think it was a wolf spider, because the fang marks were kind of far apart and I found one in the house the next day. They are big nasty buggers, but don't have the side effect like your having. Heal up quick IGG!;):lol:

Wolf spiders do not suck blood, nor do they crawl up on beds to attack humans. Bites from wolf spiders are actually extremely rare and happen when the human picks up or otherwise messes with the spider.

They wonderful insect predators, and what you should have done was scoop her up in a cup and put her in your garden.

yea, wolf spiders are really cool. i've not been fortunate enough to have seen some of the larger ones (they can get pretty big), usually just the small ones. they have great patterns, and their eye configuration is the best way to know if it's a real wolf spider or something similar. the lower row (anterior) are uniformly smaller and in a nice neat row, while the upper eyes (posterior) are larger..particularly the ones in the middle. (posterior median eyes or PME)

my favorite are the outer lower eyes..the anterior lateral eyes or ALE. :P (little mix of beer and spider nerdism.)

wolf spiders also are one of the few spiders that exhibit a definite caring for the babies by the mother. she'll tote them around on her abdomen for a bit until they are able to get out on their own and start hunting down some grub. most other spiders just tend the egg sac and the spiders disperse soon after they hatch.

hah ok i guess i'll stop now. :lol:

Pam said:
Wolf spiders do not suck blood, nor do they crawl up on beds to attack humans. Bites from wolf spiders are actually extremely rare and happen when the human picks up or otherwise messes with the spider.

They wonderful insect predators, and what you should have done was scoop her up in a cup and put her in your garden.
Well, your probably correct, but I know a spider bite when I see one. Some type of spider did bite me. Itched like hell too.

Pam said:

So it's not possible that it was just crawling on my bed and my moving was enough to threaten it?? Yeah, I was just sleeping, but I may have uknowingly provoked it. Each hole from the fang was about a 1/4" apart. I know a little jumping spider isn't that size. It's the only spider I can think of that big that could do it where I live. Just speculating. :lol:

rabbit said:
So it's not possible that it was just crawling on my bed and my moving was enough to threaten it?? Yeah, I was just sleeping, but I may have uknowingly provoked it.

Sure, it's possible. It's also possible that I might win one of those gazillion million dollar lotteries and retire to a palatial yet green estate in the country where, in between growing acres of peppers and tomatoes, I'll lounge by the pool being vigorously pleasured by the buff cabana boy Julian and the studly gardener Jake.

I'm sorry, but it's just very unlikely that the wolf spider bit you, even more unlikely that you slept through it. Wolf spiders get a bad enough rap for being scary looking *and* spiders, people kill them out of ignorance when they're really fabulous garden guard dogs.

Something bit you, but I thing the wolf spider was framed.

Pam said:
Sure, it's possible. It's also possible that I might win one of those gazillion million dollar lotteries and retire to a palatial yet green estate in the country where, in between growing acres of peppers and tomatoes, I'll lounge by the pool being vigorously pleasured by the buff cabana boy Julian and the studly gardener Jake.

I'm sorry, but it's just very unlikely that the wolf spider bit you, even more unlikely that you slept through it. Wolf spiders get a bad enough rap for being scary looking *and* spiders, people kill them out of ignorance when they're really fabulous garden guard dogs.

can we change the words julian and jake to bubba?

Pam said:

1.- I'm aware of the role that spiders play in the natural world and I actually usually let them stay in there place.

2.- I think the odds of getting bit by a spider are just a little higher than winning the lottery.

3.- Do you mind telling me what other insect would bite me in that pattern? I don't know many insects with a bite pattern perfectly lateral like that. Gee two dinky holes perfectly spaced apart. Also, there's a welt around each set of bites.

P.S- Yes, I'm aware that they aren't insects they don't have six legs. They are arachnids and have eight. It may not have been a wolf spider, but it was a spider. Unless you can prove differently. I'm not ignorant. I try to base my findings on facts. It was a hypothetical scenario and a possible explanation for what it was.

My apologies, in my eagerness to share information I sometimes forget that there are people who prefer not to, and who dislike playful discourse.

Again, my apologies. I shall refrain from replying to your posts henceforth.

Pam said:
My apologies, in my eagerness to share information I sometimes forget that there are people who prefer not to, and who dislike playful discourse.

Again, my apologies. I shall refrain from replying to your posts henceforth.

Well, I can be a natural hothead at times. Don't sweat it.:lol: I actually really like a good heated debate at times and I thought maybe I could have gotten into one for fun.:shocked::lol:
I don't mind playful discourse, but I honestly thought you were attempting to undermine my intelligence that's all. If you were trying to mess with me, that's cool. I'll keep that in mind in your future posts Pam. On a positive note I did however learn that Wolf Spiders aren't that aggressive compared to some others. I'm cool over here now. My flames have cooled as well.:lol:

Back