• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Damn, I think I've been Bit By A Brown Recluse

Glad to hear you are getting better. Hopefully its just a cyst, but those require some care even after they are removed. Just do what your doctors tell you and don't buy into the paranoia that people want you to buy into.

Sorry that advise was late, I've been away for a few days.

dreamtheatervt said:
Glad to hear you are getting better. Hopefully its just a cyst, but those require some care even after they are removed. Just do what your doctors tell you and don't buy into the paranoia that people want you to buy into.
Ya, I've had one of those removed before and a few others on my body (have I mentioned I've had a very strange, hospitle filled youth?). Ugh, just got a flash back of pulling that thing out....ugggghH!

I'm still doing the compresses and lightly pushing the crap out of my hole (hole in my cheak of my face...get your mind out of the gutter :confused: ). Good news is that this last compress only brought blood out. So I'm going to stop pushing for the night and cover it.

dreamtheatervt said:
Sorry that advise was late, I've been away for a few days.
No appology needed. Heck, you posted, that was extremely kind of you in the first place. Thank you.

Hey Jon,

Wow, so this is what it's like to post here again...weird.

Now, for a medical opinion. For one thing, the tetanus shot was just a precaution since a real tetanus response would have already wiped you out. The Levaquin you're taking is a good all-around antibiotic, but is less good than some drugs for skin type stuff like staphylococcal infections. Still, it will work just fine.

At this point, it seems like you're on the mend. As long as it continues to drain, you should be OK. Just take it easy and don't do anything complicated with your face. Not sure what that means, but it sounded good when I thought it just now.

Hey, since when did you get all scruffy and grow your beard out???

- Joe

good to hear you're starting to feel better.. Man that looks painful!! a buddy of mine out in Arizona got bit by a brown recluse some time ago on his arm....I just tried to find a pic of it (couldn't find it) but looks very similar. Good luck!!!

LinNJoe said:
Hey Jon,

Wow, so this is what it's like to post here again...weird.

Now, for a medical opinion. For one thing, the tetanus shot was just a precaution since a real tetanus response would have already wiped you out. The Levaquin you're taking is a good all-around antibiotic, but is less good than some drugs for skin type stuff like staphylococcal infections. Still, it will work just fine.

At this point, it seems like you're on the mend. As long as it continues to drain, you should be OK. Just take it easy and don't do anything complicated with your face. Not sure what that means, but it sounded good when I thought it just now.

Hey, since when did you get all scruffy and grow your beard out???

- Joe

My face got all scruffy about late May and continues to grow (who knew it did that, huh...lol).

Thanks for the advice about my face. It's looking soo much better now. I'll try to post some pics when I can. But the flesh around it is all plupped meat. So we'll see if that heals over the next few days.

well glad to hear your face isn't rotting off. if it was..you could always make a night of the living dead mullet man movie. :lol:

hot sauce sounds like a nice cure...recently got a bottle of mega death..possibly the hottest sauce i've ever had. should be good to cure a few ailments.

Dethwind said:
Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Hmmm.... sounds like a good start for a low budget B horror film, "It Came From My Face!!!"

Mild Mannered chilihead Jonathan Passow couldn't imagine the horror that was about to be unleashed. On that fatefull day he woke to find a strange lump growing on the side of his face. What would emerge would be the most horrible thing ever to hit L.A. In short... it was... The Thing From My Face!!!

....(sorry I had to say it)

In all seriousness though I am glad if it was a Recluse that you didn't get the necrotic reaction.

I can hear Frank Zappa's 'Cheapnis' being played in the backround! :lol: -Lars-

Intensity Academy said:
Waiting for an update....Recluse or no recluse....
That is the question!

Yes, it was deffinitly a recluse. I did a bunch of research during my down time and it matches it to a T.

Status Update: Well, necrosis has yet to set in so that's a very bug bonus. The wound has sealed up and I woke up and took the bandage off my face (I cover it at night). To my surprise, no puss or blood (what usually happens is it opens at night and spills everywhere).

I'm going to do another compress today sometime and see if it opens and pusses out. But I have a feeling it's getting much better. The swelling is down and the pain is down too!

imaguitargod said:
Status Update: Well, necrosis has yet to set in so that's a very bug bonus.

Was that a pun?

'Cause, I might hafta smack you.

The wound has sealed up and I woke up and took the bandage off my face (I cover it at night). To my surprise, no puss or blood (what usually happens is it opens at night and spills everywhere).

I'm going to do another compress today sometime and see if it opens and pusses out. But I have a feeling it's getting much better. The swelling is down and the pain is down too!

Good. I'm glad you're feeling better. I've been thinking about you.

cpl of weeks ago i had something simular not as big the place was about the size of a quarter and it was hurting like crazy and felt like something in my face that needed to come out. it was driving me bannanas.finaly my daughter get some tweesers and pulls out a hair. i guess it was growing the wrong way it was like 2 inches long.

hope you are feeling better dude

bubbaschili said:
cpl of weeks ago i had something simular not as big the place was about the size of a quarter and it was hurting like crazy and felt like something in my face that needed to come out. it was driving me bannanas.finaly my daughter get some tweesers and pulls out a hair. i guess it was growing the wrong way it was like 2 inches long.

hope you are feeling better dude
Ow, an ingrown hair.

Pam said:
Was that a pun?

'Cause, I might hafta smack you.
Sorry, just a misspelling.

UPDATE: Yesturday I pulled out another chunk. This time it wasn't attached and was really smaller than the last. It's itching like crazy now (which is a sign of healing). Still doing compresses and draining the face. Less and less puss is coming out now....ya!!

imaguitargod said:
Well, I'm going to have a nice scar there...

"I'm hidious! Don't look at me!"

Wow, someone voted this a four star thread. Thanks!

Once again, a thread that involves imaguitargod in pain races to the top...

Back