• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds growing seeds...

Don't like #4 or #9 at all. And they're suggesting the seedlings would get enough sunlight from that piddly little window? I think not!

4 makes sense to me Pam...maybe not "tamp" the soil down but gentle pressure just to surround the seed is cool isn't it?

and I know how you feel about 9...

AlabamaJack said:
4 makes sense to me Pam...maybe not "tamp" the soil down but gentle pressure just to surround the seed is cool isn't it?

Oh yeah, but she's going at it with a pestle! Are we grinding herbs or planting seeds?

Pam said:
Oh yeah, but she's going at it with a pestle! Are we grinding herbs or planting seeds?

I didn't even look at the pictures :lol:, I just read the text.

AlabamaJack said:
I didn't even look at the pictures :lol:, I just read the text.

Humph...then you didn't notice the suspicious blue powder she was measuring on a familiar plastic measuring scoop and putting in the watering can, did you?

Pam said:
Humph...then you didn't notice the suspicious blue powder she was measuring on a familiar plastic measuring scoop and putting in the watering can, did you?

NUTRIENTS!!!!! :shocked::lol:;)

***steps back and shoots miracle grow with neutralizer***
I didn't see it but am going back and look at the pics...

you are observant young lady..

I tend to super-saturate my potting soil in which seeds are planted, to a slurry level. Cover it and sit it on top of a heat source that gets about 72-76 degrees. The soil stays wet for about three days and damp for five or more.

The seeds don't seem to germinate as quickly as some (like AJ's) do, the fastest I have to the first hook is five days, the average seems to be about seven. But since I'm sowing 50-60 seeds of each variety at a time, and usually 3-4 types, it's ok with me if they take a while.

Mike

yeah but...yeah but.....I need instant gratification... :lol:

AlabamaJack said:

Well I guess you could argue that the quicker you get them germinated and growing the faster you can get away from damping off problems, etc.

AlabamaJack said:

But AJ, if you sow two-four containers of seeds every day for a week or two, once gratification starts, it continues day after day!

So far, the fastest overall to germinate was the Red Savina, closely followed by the Sweet Bananas. By far the slowest is the Hungarian Hot Wax. After two weeks, I have only about eight, maybe ten out of 44 seeds that have made the scene. I was figuring between 37-40 would germinate. But I had the same results last year.

Mike

Hotpeppa said:
Hey Dude,

thanks for the concern but its all good... i was saying ' well excuse me ' with a smile...

people here are generally always cool and polite and very informative...

But saying that... you are right about asking questions.. ask away because not everyone has the common sense with growing.. i sure dont.. this is my first year growing from seed, so its all new for me... I started because i got a little inspired from people here at this forum, its a good one ! so ask questions, learn something new and get excited.. its a great little hobby... :lol:

I'm in the same boat Hotpeppa. I've been buying seedlings from a neighborhood nursery for the last 16 or so years. I'm growing from seeds for the first time in my life because of the fantastic people on this forum. I asked exactly the same question on a different thread 3 days ago. :lol:

Big advantage to growing from seed is being able to grow whatever exotic pepper you want. Jalapenos, Cayennes and Caribbean Reds are great, but Seven Pods, Nagas and Bhuts are :mouthonfire: Better!

wordwiz said:
But AJ, if you sow two-four containers of seeds every day for a week or two, once gratification starts, it continues day after day!

that's not enough Mike...I planted 140 seeds 10-12 days ago and planted another 144 in the last two days...so I got 288 seeds in the germinator and 93 seedlings....

wordwiz said:
So far, the fastest overall to germinate was the Red Savina, closely followed by the Sweet Bananas. By far the slowest is the Hungarian Hot Wax. After two weeks, I have only about eight, maybe ten out of 44 seeds that have made the scene. I was figuring between 37-40 would germinate. But I had the same results last year.

Mike

Mike, it's got to be your germination temperature don't you think...didn't you say you don't keep yours as warm as I do?

Okay,

I started 30 seeds on 12/26 (Bhuts), another 50 on 1/2 and the other 226 on 1/6. I only have 143 that have germinated so far (46 percent) though by this time tomorrow, hopefully it will be a lot more!

No doubt, my seeds take longer than yours to meet the day.

I just hope I can get 90 percent germ rates, or at least 85 percent.

Mike

Hey Hotpeppa...

did you get your original questions answered?...

Back