• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

just bought a new gun

Dyce51 said:
really??? I never knew that. Kind of a mandatory thing?
Yeah. I think when they turn 18 or so there's a required enlistment into the military, but for how long i'm not sure. I want to say 2 years, but that seems way too short.

Sickmont said:
Yeah. I think when they turn 18 or so there's a required enlistment into the military, but for how long i'm not sure. I want to say 2 years, but that seems way too short.
3 years and then every now and then they call you back for very specific periods of service until you're 45.
Some people (like myself) serve as a job.

chilehunter said:
again you have 2 options, from your statement. handguards or the barrel.
The barrel was replaced way back, so it's the same one in both pics. I won't get too specific, but "something" happened that made the rifle hot. that heat made the loaded bullet expand and because of that stuck. something like most of the rifle was replaced with a lighter and a lot more heat resistant. have no idea how it's called, but feels like plastic. lighter rifle means more equipment on you overall, so that's significant.

chilehunter said:
again from the 2 guns you originally posted, they're the same gun. only difference was the scopes & grendade launcher , which both could of been switched to the other gun within minutes & vise versa (cuz of same configuration)
you say the one was not for upclose CQB cuz of the scope (your words) but its a red dot scope designed for CQB while your ACOG is meant for longer distances.
That's not practical, cause usually when you need your weapon the most, you don't have the time or possibility to replace attachments. it sounds great in theory, but again... not practical. different scopes aren't cosmetic. if different scopes are cosmetic in *your opinion*, well that's just you.

chilehunter said:
true, but as the saying goes "shit happens" & depending on the damage, you could make 1 working gun out of 2 damaged guns.
also IMO you dont have a gun w/o backup iron sights ;)
Don't know 'bout you, but the army I serve won't give me more than one of the same scope. they cost a lot and already our equipment is pricey. you operate the way you left the base.

chilehunter said:
if you say so :rolleyes:
remember once you modifiy it, its no longer a A1. which the main reason for the A1 for its flaws were cleaning issues & corrision.
You have no idea how difficult it was for me to track one of these down... they're so freaking rare where I serve. found a guy using one and started screaming at him "put the **** rifle down so I could take a picture of it!". I present to you - unmodified A1 M16 (w/new handguard shields) back from the 70s. same model presented before, after modification:
35244133.jpg

Newbies carrying modified A1 M16s (while buying pastry lol):
91983117.jpg

Fr0tran

i have killed white tails, antelope, elk and wild pigs with the 30-06 and it does a damn good job at that. i havent went hunting for mule deer before.

Omri said:
The barrel was replaced way back, so it's the same one in both pics. I won't get too specific, but "something" happened that made the rifle hot. that heat made the loaded bullet expand and because of that stuck. something like most of the rifle was replaced with a lighter and a lot more heat resistant. have no idea how it's called, but feels like plastic. lighter rifle means more equipment on you overall, so that's significant.

so you replaced it with a M4 upper barrel assembly.

Omri said:
That's not practical, cause usually when you need your weapon the most, you don't have the time or possibility to replace attachments. it sounds great in theory, but again... not practical. different scopes aren't cosmetic. if different scopes are cosmetic in *your opinion*, well that's just you.

when I say cosmetic, I DO NOT mean the attachments or parts of the rifle are of trival use, I mean they are so interchangeable & can be changed within minutes.
& I kinda meant in the extreme case that you can make 1 working gun out of 2 if you had to, if away from base too long or no resupply.

at 1st you mentioned they were different guns, yet they were not except for the attachments. then said you'd choose 1 gun over the other just because of the scope - well the scopes could be swapped within 1 minute, so yes cosmetic IMO - same guns & placed on the upper in the same location = damn near no need to resight it in.

Omri said:
Don't know 'bout you, but the army I serve won't give me more than one of the same scope. they cost a lot and already our equipment is pricey. you operate the way you left the base.

I was talking in worst case scenario, swapping parts.

Omri said:
You have no idea how difficult it was for me to track one of these down... they're so freaking rare where I serve. found a guy using one and started screaming at him "put the **** rifle down so I could take a picture of it!". I present to you - unmodified A1 M16 (w/new handguard shields) back from the 70s. same model presented before, after modification:
35244133.jpg

you sure were determined to get a pic of one of the guns, screaming at some guy, he probablly thought "WTF did I do :scared:" :lol:

ok minus the handguards, thats a version of the A1's, but is it really a classic A1 ? hard to tell for the barrel/muzzel brake/ & you keep taking pics of the left side of the gun! do they have shell deflector & forward assist ?

some people pay alright money for those A1's. & some people prefer the A1 sights vs the A2 sights.

chilehunter said:
you sure were determined to get a pic of one of the guns, screaming at some guy, he probablly thought "WTF did I do :scared:"
Yes I was. :cool:
chilehunter said:
ok minus the handguards, thats a version of the A1's, but is it really a classic A1 ?
That's what they tell us.
Here's a photo looking a lot like how we get them:
78711307.gif

chilehunter said:
do they have shell deflector
100% nope.
chilehunter said:
forward assist ?
Is sure hope so. :lol:
chilehunter said:
some people pay alright money for those A1's. & some people prefer the A1 sights vs the A2 sights.
Well some people suck, lol. you don't buy your weapon (you CAN'T own assault rifles in Israel), you're assigned with it. the unmodified A1s are too big and clumsy. not comfortable to get around with.

Not my pic, but since this is a gun thread, thought I should share.
Found this pic at the unit's public photo gallery. it belongs to one of the former members.

bizo.jpg

Let's just say that his baby has seen enough. he called it "Bizo" (means 'friend' in Georgian).

Just about anyone who's fired a Sig-saeur will tell you they're probably the best semi- auto pistol in the world. The accuracy is unbelievable.

ok this is my most recent gun I got :cool:
benelli M4

DSCF3823.jpg

trying to talk some people into going pig hunting - razorbacks or russian boars :hell: this gun should work just fine for them :lol:

chilehunter said:
ok this is my most recent gun I got

DSCF3823.jpg

trying to talk some people into going pig hunting - razorbacks or russian boars this gun should work just fine for them
Hehe... should be fun. :lol:
Congrats on the new baby.

Pepperfreak said:
Omri, IMO that anything HK is a well made piece of equipment.
Eh it doesn't matter... if I heal properly, I'll be moving to a unit using Colt only.

Omri, IMO that colt is good too. I personally have a Colt AR-15 with collapsible stock. We also train with Colt AR-15 at work and I have found that they are reliable. But, as with anything, proper maintenance and care is required. As for their handguns, I believe that there are better 1911 platforms out there.

Pepperfreak said:
Omri, IMO that colt is good too. I personally have a Colt AR-15 with collapsible stock. We also train with Colt AR-15 at work and I have found that they are reliable. But, as with anything, proper maintenance and care is required. As for their handguns, I believe that there are better 1911 platforms out there.
lol yeah, it's still an M4A1. :lol:

DickT said:
Got the Bushmaster AR-15, going to range tomorrow...

Congrats dude, it's a beauty!

Back