• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

cuisines Sashimi or Sushi Rolls

Omri said:
I like my sushi simple. maki with salmon, avocado and wasabi. nigiri with salmon.
Obviously a good salmon sashimi is good, too.
Yep... I really like salmon. :P

yeah - salmon +1

ikura (salmon roe) rates pretty highly too

Buddah said:
I absolutely detest cream cheese in my sushi too, but japanese mayo is another story for me. If it doesn't have the spicy mayo, I usually don't order it.

Ditto! (did I just say that?????:shocked:)

I do like sashimi with just wasabi and a little lemon, and I do venture beyond the "spicy" rolls, But spicy tuna, spicy crab, and spicy scallop top my list.

Avacado is fine in the right roll, but I don't like it on the outside.

Avacado is yummy, I like it more in mexican cooking though.

*OFF TOPIC*

Good to see you Grumpy, there was a distinct lack of zombie references in the last few weeks!;)

cheezydemon said:
*OFF TOPIC*

Good to see you Grumpy, there was a distinct lack of zombie references in the last few weeks!;)

how ever did you get along...

funny thing is i felt kinda zombie-ish during exams... i was tempted to fill in a cafeteria comment card with "more brains and bring back hawaiian fridays"

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!

Had some badass sushi at Sono last night, here in Jersey. We don't mess with the raw stuff aside from the little orange fish eggs, but we do alright.

My real question is, where's the heat? No peppers in the sushi?? The heat is nearly absent from all things sushi. We don't like wasabi either, so where's the heat??

There is no heat. Japanese food isn't spicy. You want spicy, go southern Thai or eastern Indian.

I've always thought maki would be great with peppers, but they just don't use them. The "spicy mayo" is pitiful - although it tastes great. It's not even warm. I think when they say "spicy," they just mean they use spices.

Yeah, they do make the distinction of spicy meaning spices. While eating, i mentioned to my lovely date that it would be killer to get a roll with crab, avocado, etc. and just a nice bead of ultra-hot hotsauce right down the middle. I guess that would be some kind of fusion dish, but damn would that taste amazing.

fineexampl said:
Yeah, they do make the distinction of spicy meaning spices. While eating, i mentioned to my lovely date that it would be killer to get a roll with crab, avocado, etc. and just a nice bead of ultra-hot hotsauce right down the middle. I guess that would be some kind of fusion dish, but damn would that taste amazing.

There is no reason not to incooperate a little Chilehead into the world of Sushi. Interesting restaurant concept, but would it make money? I would love to have a whole restaurant like a Thai restaurant where they label the heat of everything on the menu with a pepper. I once went to a Thai place where they had 1-3 peppers on the menu for each dish. I ordered 3 pepper appetizer which intimidated me knowing I had a 3 pepper dinner coming. Both were extremely hot, but after cleaning the sweat off my head I asked the waiter, "Is that the hottest you can make it?" Wrong choice of words. He says, "No. We go up to 7 peppers but that is way too hot for most Americans." Tru dat! Of course that was many a moon ago, and I am ready for 7 pepper trouble!

Definitely the roll. I once had a halloween roll that had deep fried salmon skin in it, the salmon kin tasted like bacon, love sushi, its just another reason for me to drink BEER

theHippySeedCo said:
Smoked Salmon and Avacado with the little orange popping egg things tooo

Then a Whole tube of Wasabi, and crank the sinus's :)
I love getting those poppers myself. I get them a la carte sometimes just to savor the flavor.

I think the next time i go i'm going to bring something and see if they can make me a roll with a killer hot sauce inside.

I went to a restaurant in Hokkaido and had the best sushi of my life. Of course when I was done it cost me nearly $300... but it did take 3 or 4 hours and we did drink several expensive bottles of sake afterwards.

It was a really great experience, especially because the waitress spoke english and explained a few things for me (my japanese is horrible, I can barely order food).

I like uni here in Vancouver, but occasionally you notice a metallic tang or after taste to it. In Hokkaido it was sweet all the way through. Not candy sweet but fresh fish sweet. The uni alone is nearly worth the trip back there.

I'm a raw guy, so sashimi all the way. Plus it's low carb, which honestly helps me fit in my pants. If my white ass eats like an asian I get fat (my wife is chinese). Even when I use some strict portion control and eat less food then the people who weigh 40lbs less then me. The rice and noodles seem to just make me blow up.

Anyways, god like is toro from bluefin tuna. May not be that exotic, but man. I could live on that.

I had sushi last night for dinner. I see this old thread dug up again, and now I have to go get more for lunch!!

Don't like Wasabi???????(finexample)

That is the heat. That' like saying :where is the heat in this burrito??? By the way I don't like hot sauce in it......

To each their own.

I too would love a roll with some thin sliced habanero incorporated. But I would still hit it with some wasabi!

Wasabi has a different kind of heat. i don't care if you eat nagas for breakfast, a teaspoon of wasabi will open up your sinuses and make you feel alive!

fineexampl said:
I think the next time i go I'm going to bring something and see if they can make me a roll with a killer hot sauce inside.
If you are well known at your favorite sushi restaurant, you can take a few peppers with you, explain that they are VERY hot, and ask them to include them into a roll of your choice. I've never had any problem doing this. They enjoy making things like that and will make them as hot or not as you like them.

I make my own rolls and nigiri at home. I bought a medical freezer, (EdgeStar 1.5) to store the different sushi meats in. It stays at minus 30F or better and the food is vacuum packed into food-saver bags of one serving. I've had some in it for 2 years with no problems. It holds about 5 pounds of meat, which with sushi, will make a LOT of meals. I use one ounce of meat on each roll. That seems to be the amount that works the best.

16 ounces per/pound, I have enough to make 80 rolls or nigiri in one load of the freezer.

I order some of my supplies from http://www.catalinaop.com/ the shipping is expensive, but I only make big orders. I get a few friends to order with me to save on shipping.

I also catch my own fish for sushi and buy local fish from a reputable fish market that is very fresh. I freeze it all and keep my little freezer full all the time with dated bags.

I've gotten where making the sushi rice is easy and consistent in flavor. I use the premixed sushi vinegar.

I'm a confirmed sushi addict.

Back