food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

JayT said:
Today's fun. Unfortunately all alcoholic beverages were consumed before the making of this food so it cannot be posted in the Drunken Chef thread. So here it is: JayT's Spiced Buttermilk Fried Chicken

100_4626.jpg

100_4627.jpg

100_4628.jpg

Ok, there was a request for this recipe. I took eight bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and them in a ziplock bag. I then added a quart of buttermilk that had a couple tablespoons of rub (I used my own which is a mix of a zillion things including various pepper powders, garlic, onion powder, paprika, salt etc etc. I also added extra ancho powder and seasoning salt. Shook it up good and poured it into the bag with the chicken. Let it sit for 24-36 hours. Seasoned some flour in another ziplock whatever you like I just used more ancho, garlic, and salt. Shake up a few pieces at a time, shake off excess flour, and put them on a wire rack over top of a sheet pan and let them sit for about 20-30 minutes so the breading sticks. While that is happening preheat fryer with peanut oil to 320F. Any hotter and the outside will burn before the inside is done. Cook in batches no overcrowding for 15-20 minutes and place back on the wire rack to let cool. Season with a little more rub if you like. If you don't have a fryer you can use a dutch oven with about 2 inches of oil and a meat thermometer. Enjoy.:P

JayT said:
Ok, there was a request for this recipe. I took eight bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and them in a ziplock bag. I then added a quart of buttermilk that had a couple tablespoons of rub (I used my own which is a mix of a zillion things including various pepper powders, garlic, onion powder, paprika, salt etc etc. I also added extra ancho powder and seasoning salt. Shook it up good and poured it into the bag with the chicken. Let it sit for 24-36 hours. Seasoned some flour in another ziplock whatever you like I just used more ancho, garlic, and salt. Shake up a few pieces at a time, shake off excess flour, and put them on a wire rack over top of a sheet pan and let them sit for about 20-30 minutes so the breading sticks. While that is happening preheat fryer with peanut oil to 320F. Any hotter and the outside will burn before the inside is done. Cook in batches no overcrowding for 15-20 minutes and place back on the wire rack to let cool. Season with a little more rub if you like. If you don't have a fryer you can use a dutch oven with about 2 inches of oil and a meat thermometer. Enjoy.:P

I tried this a while back and it was a complete FAIL.....:P So I might have to look at doing it again without the FAIL this time.....Looks great

I did up another Jamaican Jerk Pork loin last night because my Jamaican Yellow peppers finally ripened up (turned red for some reason so either I mislabeled them, or I just plum planted the wrong ones. Dunno). Either way I was using orange habs in my JJP recipes before because I didn't have any SB's and didn't really mind it so much. Turns out the orange habs give it a COMPLETELY different flavor than the Scotch Bonnet's. I prefer the SB's over the habs. You can see little chunks of the SB's on the pork there too :).

I had a hankering for some mashed pertaters and mixed veggies so I cooked some up as well. Going to make some Jerk Pork sammies tonight with the left overs.
Jamaicanjerkpork-1.jpg

Anything green that's not asparagus or spinach.....

....is EVIL!!!!

(Avacado gets an out cause I think it's concidered a fruit! YUMMMM!!!)

Oh my, hot nana bread... That's something that I HAVE to try. Don't got no scotch bonnets so I'll have to sub something else. Sadly all I have access to right now is Chili de Arbol, serrano's, jala's and orange habs.

Today's Brekkey from Hades...

S6304895.jpg

Ingredients:
  • Some beautiful Asiago Italian bread (got it for $1.99)
  • THSC's Afterburner
  • Tillamook Cheddar
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Cilantro
  • Serranos
  • 3/4 of a Bhut Jolokia
  • a couple eggs
  • a nice smoked summer sausage.

First off, sliced the bread, bottom got a swipe w/ EVOO, the top spread liberally w/ Afterburner. Stuck it in toaster oven on 200F to warm up and get a bit toasty.

Then, sliced off 4 slices of the sausage then fryed it up.

Took that off, then fried up the two eggs in the sausage grease...mmmm.
Cooked on one side, then steam-fried the other to about over-easy. Sprinkled both sides with pepper, fresh-ground Arbol and bacon salt.

Here's the warmed bread, sausage, and eggs. I later sliced the sausage into strips as it just worked better.
S6304896.jpg

Veggies!!! Still only using the leftover grease and my T-Fal pan to do the work.
S6304898.jpg

EBiL Naga/Serrano steam! I just gave it a quicky fry-toss-fry-toss, done.

Assembled Brekky Debauchery up next...

Yeehaw!!!

Sliced the cheese and placed on the bread, added the sliced sausage, eggs, and then the veggies.
S6304904.jpg

It's moppin' time...
S6304907.jpg

Pretty nice burn, and the flavor is off the charts just like the cholesterol...muhahaha!

istockphoto_3516519_evil_chef.jpg

Thanks!

Because I steam-fried the eggs, they didn't get that evil crustyness...just nice eggs. Using the sausage to "grease the wheels" of all the rest saves on fat and provides kickazz flavor.

It's firey hot, delish, and only took about 10min.

Quad that thing is freakin' crazy, it's some sort of Huevos Rancheros Reuben hybrid!

Back