• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fatalii smackdown

Pam said:
AJ, were your home grown isolated? As in, could they be benefiting from a bit of hybrid vigor?

These were grown in the front yard....I know, I know, not really far enough but as far as I could put them away from the other plants...

caroltlw said:
AJ, are they reaching up for the morning dew? Or are they just a little cold and begging for more sun. :lol:

Nice plants both of you!

I think they are wanting more sun...they are covered at night then the temps might fall below 50 in my tent with the 90 watt halogen bulbs...I fed them three days ago and it seems they liked it....

Nice looking plant MrArboc from what I can see...

Potawie...your plants green-ness always amazes me...

Cappy...you are right...they have to go see their new home within two weeks.....

AlabamaJack said:
These were grown in the front yard....I know, I know, not really far enough but as far as I could put them away from the other plants...

No, that's a pretty good way for us homeowners to isolate. Other than putting it in a neighbor's yard, you can't put much more distance between the plants. I was just noodling over what the difference might be in the seeds you saved.

MrArboc said:
I was thinking about bringing a few plants outside to get some pictures in the light, but I changed my mind after a look at the thermometer.

I took a picture in front of the window in my kitchen instead:

fatalii.jpg

I will get a better picture during the week:)

Kind of hard to believe that I'll start to harden them off in about 2,5 months, and that they will be outside 24/7 in just over 3 months.

HA! Now that view out the window looks familiar! :lol:

POTAWIE said:
My fataliis never seem to grow very tall or quick, they always stay short and compact compared to other chinenses. I've been saving seeds for several year from my best looking plants and pods of this variety, but have never done any real isolating.
These are my 2 biggest fataliis started this year

Derek - you grew those with shop lights?

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Huge fat leaves on your Fatalli Derek. Your plants really have a nice dark green color. AJ and I better get our plants in the ground soon to have any chance when things thaw in the great white north. I know we aren't the only three with a camera and a Fatalli.

Cappy, I don't know when we're going to get thawed out down here! They are calling for 5-8 inches of snow tonight in Northern Virginia.

Ok, I'm still in the game. Not quite as far along as PRF, AJ or Potawie but I'm not complaining.

My fatallis look more like Powtawie's (not as big), short and compact.

Beer bottle comparison...
Fatalli_030109.jpg

POTAWIE said:
They are getting a mix of different floro lights as well as some sunlight

Very impressive. Seems like the better growers on this site can just look at a plant and tell what it needs. If I ever get a Fatalii more than 2 inches tall, I'll post a pic. :)

That's one reason I try to stay away from time-release fertilizers. I like to be able to self diagnose and treat any problems that may come around at any given time, and just generally know the needs of the plants from experience.

POTAWIE said:
That's one reason I try to stay away from time-release fertilizers. I like to be able to self diagnose and treat any problems that may come around at any given time, and just generally know the needs of the plants from experience.

*nods*

Exactly

That's one of the reasons I hate potting soils that come pre-fertilized, you have no control over what your plant is getting, and no way to really correct the problems without the risk of causing more.

POTAWIE said:

Pam said:
*nods*

Exactly

That's one of the reasons I hate potting soils that come pre-fertilized, you have no control over what your plant is getting, and no way to really correct the problems without the risk of causing more.

Double Amen....

POTAWIE said:

Pam said:
*nods*

Exactly

The problem i have with getting soil is that in my area, it's a chore finding potting mixes with no fertilizers added. As of late i've taken to mixing peat with perlite and using organic liquid ferts. Now i did use miracle-gro for my office plants, but that's another story.

fine...surely you have a nursery close to you...they should have some standard potting soil without any nutrients added...that's what I am using...

fineexampl said:
The problem i have with getting soil is that in my area, it's a chore finding potting mixes with no fertilizers added.

Hence my copious whining on the subject. I have been getting expensive soilless potting mix from a nursery and mixing that with the cheapo top soil from the big box stores. I'm pretty tickled to have a hydro store open in my area that carries Fox Farm products.

As of late i've taken to mixing peat with perlite and using organic liquid ferts. Now i did use miracle-gro for my office plants, but that's another story.

If they're foliage plants, they're probably fine on Miracle Grow.

Pam said:
Hence my copious whining on the subject. I have been getting expensive soilless potting mix from a nursery and mixing that with the cheapo top soil from the big box stores. I'm pretty tickled to have a hydro store open in my area that carries Fox Farm products.

If they're foliage plants, they're probably fine on Miracle Grow.
they are. just weird low light jobs.

AlabamaJack said:
fine...surely you have a nursery close to you...they should have some standard potting soil without any nutrients added...that's what I am using...
We do, but NJ is a funny state with that. The "Garden State" has a ton of gardens, but finding potting soil with no additives is hard.

WOW. I found one today that I had mislabeled in its pot. I still have a fatalii from the Jan 12th plant day but I cannot find the camera right now. Will get pictures up tonight.

This was around 3 weeks ago, it now has two real leaves but is roughly the same size, can anyone claim to have a smaller example?
Chillistuff001.jpg

Back