• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds PRF seed tray '09

No lime was used but I will flush with ph balanced water on occasion. Just did this based on the vigor of my back-ups that got the same mix. Fingers crossed.

I'm going to stop repotting and just top dressing the remaining containers with the peat and compost. Was drinking yesterday and didn't think this all the way through. Do think I messed with the roots too much, just will mark a new plant out date on the containers I repotted. No very smart sometimes.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I'm going to stop repotting and just top dressing the remaining containers with the peat and compost. Was drinking yesterday and didn't think this all the way through. Do think I messed with the roots too much, just will mark a new plant out date on the containers I repotted. No very smart sometimes.

Hey Cappy - You're just trying to do everything possible to have a perfect season and nature is not cooperating. Relax for a while and watch 'em grow.:) Trust me dude, your plants are the envy of almost everyone on this forum, things will work out in the end.

I ment to say I don't think I messed with the root ball too much, I could still hold in one hand. I agree all would have been fine I overreacted, you live and you learn. Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I feel like a big dummy.

millworkman, I added the peat and manure to the saturated Pro-mix and mixed it in. I already have 9 bales of pro-mix in the mix, 6 from last year. Another bale or two of straight peat shouldn't matter. The Lowes peat also wasn't as fine as is in Pro-mix. It makes the mix look and smell fresh, not soaking wet. Only time will tell. My back-up plants like this mix.

millworkman said:
So, you mixed the peat and the manure and thats it? That will work well for a container mix?

Anything can serve a medium so long as its porous and can provide support for roots to grow through. Hell a sponge will work even. The food comes from minerals within the medium.

Let me just say that I'm very happy now that I've repotted almost all my plants now in the Black Kow and new peat and all already are showing the new growth I expect. The way I look at it is it was nothing more than potting up from a 1 gallon pot to a 4 gallon, just I did 4 to 4 gallon. It was a tough decision but my plants are where I want them this year. They lost a few leaves in the process but you can already seen the sheen come back in all new growth. I think I might have really saved my pod production. At any rate my plants are loving the spring time air. Feelin' relieved, it's mother nature and the hose from here on out. It was the right decision after all.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Let me just say that I'm very happy now that I've repotted almost all my plants now in the Black Kow and new peat and all already are showing the new growth I expect. The way I look at it is it was nothing more than potting up from a 1 gallon pot to a 4 gallon, just I did 4 to 4 gallon. It was a tough decision but my plants are where I want them this year. They lost a few leaves in the process but you can already seen the sheen come back in all new growth. I think I might have really saved my pod production. At any rate my plants are loving the spring time air. Feelin' relieved, it's mother nature and the hose from here on out. It was the right decision after all.

Ah, you speak of sheen PRF san. Very wise, wise indeed.
Told you it would be ok. GROW ON!:P

Glad to hear PRF, and its true what BIGT says... im also in that group that loves your plants and how you deal with them...

any advice you can give me ?

i post a new thread saying `help me please`

Cappy, your trials and tribulations gave me a good idea. My local nursery didn't have the regular Premier Peat Moss so I got this Pro-Moss stuff - it was $12.98 for a bale and looks pretty decent. I'm going to stretch my remaining Pro-Mix with this and add some perlite and Tomato Tone for use in my big 7 Gallon pots. We'll see what happens in comparison to a bunch of my other stuff in 5 Gallon pots with 100% Pro-Mix and Osmocote. I know I'll have some peat left and I'll use it in the garden as a soil amendment for my remaining plants. Now if the weather would just cooperate here.

http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/Horticulture/Products/GrowingMediumTM/ProMoss/fProMoss.htm
promosstbk.jpg

BTW - a bale of Pro-Mix BX is now $37.77 here. Ouch!

That stuff looks great Tony just like all products from that company. I cannot stress enough how happy I am with my Pro-Mix, had an amazing pepper crop last year used straight. I tried that approach again but they got to wet to fast and it took a long time to dry out. My plant were suffering and that was not happening in my garden. I only added just enough peat to dry the Pro-Mix, no more that 15% if not less. My plants have all greened up and the new growth is very healthy outside leaves. I am so excited I think I got my mix right for another great pepper crop. I still consider my mix to be Pro-mix, just recharged. Hotpeppa just make sure you have a light airy medium for that hydro like growth, it dries out faster which allows you to water more often. Tony I agree getting your soil right is the most important thing we can do for our plants. That mix with extra peat/perlite and tomato tone sounds great for big 7 gallon containers. Can you tell I am excited about the way my plants are looking today.:)

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
That stuff looks great Tony just like all products from that company. I cannot stress enough how happy I am with my Pro-Mix, had an amazing pepper crop last year used straight. I tried that approach again but they got to wet to fast and it took a long time to dry out. My plant were suffering and that was not happening in my garden. I only added just enough peat to dry the Pro-Mix, no more that 15% if not less. My plants have all greened up and the new growth is very healthy outside leaves. I am so excited I think I got my mix right for another great pepper crop. I still consider my mix to be Pro-mix, just recharged. Hotpeppa just make sure you have a light airy medium for that hydro like growth, it dries out faster which allows you to water more often. Tony I agree getting your soil right is the most important thing we can do for our plants. That mix with extra peat/perlite and tomato tone sounds great for big 7 gallon containers. Can you tell I am excited about the way my plants are looking today.:)

Sounds good PRF! Glad to hear your chi is back!:)

Nice Cappy! We need a few pics now. I'll be doing some mass pot ups this weekend as the weather is looking good. We've had so much wind, my early pot ups are living in the garage lately. BTW, I was looking for that Black Kow, but couldn't find it and settled on the Tomato Tone. The more I read about ferts, the more I learn that less is more. The average homeowner uses 10x more fertilizer than the average farmer. And farmers do it for a living.

Happy to hear everything worked out for you Cappy. Now if you don't mind I can't take much more of you saying how happy you are with the way they look without seeing some pictures. Please please please post a pic of just one, a shiny one. Please.....

bigt said:
BTW - a bale of Pro-Mix BX is now $37.77 here. Ouch!

Wow that blows. I got it for $29.99 and that still hurts. But it does go a long way once you break it up.

bigt said:
BTW, I was looking for that Black Kow, but couldn't find it...

I believe that is only sold as far north as North Carolina. Not positive. I was on there site like a month ago looking at that stuff myself. I was going to amend my small raised bed with it. Definitely too far out of my reach though.

Tried to take some pics when I got home but the sun was down and the plants don't look the same with a flash. Got this one of a Goat's Weed that is growing like a weed, haha didn't plan that. It has that nice green growth that I like in a plant. Received the seeds from Donnie in Denmark, it's going to be a real beast. I'll let everyone see the garden when the sun comes up.:cool:
IMG_2326.jpg

Back